Monday 25 May 2009

 

Fancy Dress Party Takes To The Road.

Sunday afternoon driving along a country road. Weaving curves and corners, fields for miles, rolling hills. There is a village behind me, a town five miles on, a scattering of farm houses here and there. As I take a turn I spot Robin Hood and Maid Marion walking along the road towards me, I dip out into other side of road to pass them. Then its three girls, with short skirts and huge fake afro wigs. Then a doctor and his wife who appears not to be dressed as anything in particular. A ballerina with a neon skirt up on the grass verge while I pass. And a medieval lord, with his tunics flapping in the freeze. How curious I think. Are they all on their way to or from a fancy dress party? 2pm on a Sunday afternoon – must have run pretty damn late! Or maybe its just getting ready to kick off, a barbeque in the sun? it is a holiday weekend for some. But them it’s a country road, why are they all walking in clumps like that? Why not getting lifts, or taxis? It’s a Sunday, certainly no buses out this way. Curious.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]