Sunday 14 March 2010

 

Visiting the Doctor

I got up out of bed, having been off work for a few days, and decided that today I had better sort that appointment to see the doctor. The previous day they shut early, so I hadn't been able to. Unfortunately this day it has decided to snow, and it is already a foot deep. I phone anyway, and they offer me an appointment 15 minutes from that point, I look at the snow and know I can't make that. So they give me an appointment in the afternoon instead. Fine. I leave early, the snow half way to my knee as i make my way to the car. Things are going fine, until I reach the hill leading to the local football ground, cars churning up and down from th estate. Each is struggling, and making things worse for everyone that follows. I manage to make a charge at it, getting 3/4 of the way up before i start to struggle, and I start to struggle. A man coming down the way draws beside me – where are you going – doctors – probably better walking it from here – but i can't just abandon my car at this point – he shrugs and drives away. i make a couple more feet of progress and have to stop to let a double decker bus go down by me. I phone the doctors, already late by this point, let them know i am on my way, i will be there as soon as I can. A lorry comes up behind me, four guys getting out and they push me passed the bad bit and I'm on my way again. I'm weaving along the road, steering as best I can, hoping breaks will behave, its difficult, the surface is all churned up. But by this point the schools are out, and the kids are just strolling across the road, regardless of traffic. A half dozen kids are too close in front of me, i start shouting to get them out the way, afraid I'll try and brake and loose control. So they start throwing snow balls at me. Getting nearer the doctor's building the car park is snowed out, the road is mobbed with parents picking up younger children from the primary school, I end up having to just about abandon the car. I apologise for being late, sit for 10 minutes, see the dotor for 10 minutes, everything sounds ok. Get back into the car and it takes an hour to get home as well, the hill down by the football ground is fine going down, but its like a U shape, and coming back up the other side I get stuck again. Once home, the snow is too deep to get car back to where it was parked, I try to dig myself some space, but its not happening, so end up having to abandon it at an odd angle, mostly, enough, off the road.

Comments:
That sounds almost like a Fantasy event, so far from my life experience. Not the problems driving, just the fact that there may be so much snow to block a car, while at the same time life goes on normally. Snow on the road for me is is the domain of high mountains, adventures, trips where you prepare in advance and ready your wheel chains, some food, full tank... Which explains why Spanish cities simply collapse with just ten centimeters (four inches) of snow, and kids stay at home and everyone just waits for the white stuff to go away.
 
it is unusual that we get winters as bad as we've had this year. we've had pretty mild winters fir years, till last year. last time it was this bad was maybe 20 years ago? but yeah, its similar here, a few cm and its enough to stop a lot of people in their tracks.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]